Sunday, July 6, 2014

July Update

I am behind on posting so I have a lot to catch you all up on.

Last post I was only a few days shy of testing and about to have my progesterone levels checked. My results on cd 23 were .3 and at cd 30 were 3. I was devastated! I also learned that even though a opk can give you a positive, it may only mean there was a surge in LH not promising ovulation has actually occurred. (Someone should really share this information!! Maybe they did and I forgot?!)  

As a result, my doctor asked us to really consider Clomid. Medicine had been mentioned before but since we had gotten pregnant on our own previously, I never gave fertility drugs another thought. I always thought fertility drugs were for "other people". With "other" situations. 

Since we have not yet had a successful pregnancy and the doctor asked us specifically to consider it, we did. I spent many hours researching Clomid and reading success rates and reasons for treatment. I talked to friends who had taken this drug- so far with great results. I questioned alongside Nathan, if this was a way to get ahead of God's ultimate plan and "cheat" our way to being pregnant. (Conclusion: if we aren't meant to have a baby- we won't get pregnant. Plain and simple. God is bigger than this medicine.)

After praying and thinking and a long consultation with the doctor, we decided to give it a chance. If you are not familiar with this drug here are a few facts: 
**Skip these if you just don't care :P

•The goal of treatment is to normalize or induce ovulation by taking a 50mg dose of Clomid on day 3-7 of the menstrual cycle. Interestingly, 80% of women taking Clomid will successfully ovulate but fewer than 50% of patients will conceive. 
•Clomid is a low-level fertility drug. The chances of a multiple birth (twins) increases 40 times while taking Clomid.
•The most common side effects are hot flashes due to the body's hormone levels and a mild headache. The headache usually disappears once the last pill is taken, and the hot flashes once ovulation has occurred. Visual symptoms such as spots, flashes or blurry vision are less common and indicate that treatment should stop.

I started my first pill on Monday June 30th. I took it at night hoping to sleep off side effects. Day one I felt terrible. Had a horrible headache and neck ache and was so exhausted with nausea and dizziness. My stomach bothered me all day. Day two....still had a terrible headache, nausea, dizziness and very tired. Day three...milder headache but a bit more energy. Day 4...light headache. Day 5... No side effects. Thank Jesus!!! 

I'm now at cd 11 and had a slight LH surge today so ovulation should happen in the next few days. I am hopeful yet not getting my hopes too high about this cycle. I know that God will work out His perfect will, with or without the help of this medication. I'll do my best to update again once I've had my progesterone checked next week. 



No comments:

Post a Comment